Saturday, June 16, 2012

White girl, white girl, white girl.

I'm really white.  This is really obvious one month into this trip. Even in Bangalore, shopkeepers blatantly look past their other customers to try to help me, when I'm just walking through the crowded stalls.  I've actually considered dying my hair black while I'm here to see if that helped things a little, but I know I'd die a little inside if I did!  I guess I could wear a burka, but, well, it's summer.

On the bus last night, I sat next to a woman, but the passenger behind me decided he was going to see if he could rub my arm and shoulder and feel my french braids while I was asleep.  He got slapped discretely, but about an hour later got a "GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF ME" said in the most murderous tone I've probably ever used with anyone.  So, then I slept maybe 2 hours after that, which was fine, except that the Hyderabad airport (had to wait there for 5+ hours after the bus dropped me off) played classical music that tried to lull me to sleep many, many times. 

This white girl likes her independence too, which surprises everyone except me.  Yes, I can carry my very heavy backpack which I stuffed to the brim so as to not to have to pay extra for my checked bag.  No, I will not need the hotel taxi tomorrow and will venture out on my own.  Yes, I will find my own restaurant and bottled water and hopefully find my way back. :)

This white girl also likes her English and her cities.  Honestly, the apartments were a lot nicer than I expected in Ongole, and there were some pretty nice restaurants, and it was good.  Yet, there was this overwhelming feeling of relief when I could read the signs and names of roads and stores, recognize the Indian actors (Bollywood, not Tollywood), and see things like really tall buildings and stunning, STUNNING architecture.

Anyways, I'm really excited for this part of the trip.  I purchased a novel in Hindi that I've read before in English, and hopefully, that will help keep me entertained and productive at nights when I'm stuck inside for safety's sake.

Also, I'm really serious on if you want saris or shoes or tunics/salwar kameez/punjabis or whatever to tell me NOW because I'm really tired of carrying so much stuff in my carryon to keep my checked bag's weight down :) and if I can get them for good deals while I have extra time here, I'll be doing that and sending them home in not too long.   So, email or facebook or whatever, but I make no promises if i ship something home early on instead of later.

No comments:

Post a Comment