Sunday, June 17, 2012

Gandhi Nagar

This is my "vacation" time on my trip, but really it means I study hindi a LOT, to prepare for my class.  I spent a good 3 hours this morning trying to go through the first 12 pages of Harry Potter. As I'm not a huge fan, have only seen 1.5 of the movies, and haven't read the books since I was in fourth grade, it's hard.  I don't know if hte words are the names of characters or hindi words I don't know ;)  Then, I went did another 2 hours this afternoon, and I'm planning to make a night of it again today.
That said, I'm still excited about being in Bangalore and getting to experience the city.  I'll be going to a spa sometime soon. (Not that I've ever thought paying for a spa was worth it, but I figure I can pamper myself for $100 for half a day!)
I'm staying at a pretty adequate hotel in Gandhi Nagar, Bangalore.   It still has a bucket shower, the bed would kill my mother's back, and there's only a small pathway around the bed, but I really like it.  (I've been told that being young and able to travel this way won't last long, so I'm hoping to make the most of it!) The hotel's about a block away from the park, so that's where I've studied, as I can sit on the concrete steps and be around the 30 boys/teens/men who are playing cricket.  I haven't actually seen any other women there to watch cricket or do anything else, so I don't really know if being there is socially acceptable, but it means I'm in a safe, public place AND enjoying the outdoors, so it's okay with me :)
The weather is SO NICE here.  I have no idea what temperature 30*Celsius is, but it's that.  I'm quite comfortable in my jeans and 3/4 sleeve tunics here, whereas in Ongole, I couldn't wait to get home to strip down to my tank top and shorts.  I'm glad I didn't pay for the airconditioned rooms as I freeze in these with only the fan on, haha. 
I've seen a lot of Gandhi Nagar since I got lost trying to come back from lunch.  Haha, thankfully I have an artist's eye and pay attention to noteworthy pieces of architecture, so I was able to wander around until I found something that I knew I'd seen before, and I got back okay!  Given, I could have asked someone if I hadn't been able to find it, but I prefer that everyone think I know where I am!  I still have yet to see any other Caucasians, and so I think I'll move to another, more foreign-oriented part of town when these reservations end on Tuesday.  That way, it's not so obvious where the white girl is staying. alone. 
That's also sort of funny because anytime I get in a conversation with someone, I have to lie, which I dislike doing, but no one needs to know that I'm staying here alone or that I'm single.  Thankfully, the Indian head bobble, which became natural within 24 hours of being in India, has kept me from speaking untruths often.  The rest of the time, I flash my blue and white sapphire ring I bought for the trip and claim a fiance and friends here with me.  :) We're ALL having a great time.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice blog...
    Great information provided. I appreciate your work.

    ReplyDelete