Thursday, June 7, 2012

An Amma's Heart

I sit here, unmoving, in my sari, lest it shall become unpinned one more time.  I have greatly underestimated the ability to keep it on properly.  It was all fine and dandy back home, wearing it while walking around my apartment or watching a movie.  In the wind, or with the children tugging on it/playing hide and seek in it/fighting over who gets the shiny part, or when climbing stairs though--I'm sure I look like a wreck in it.  I know this because the ayahs and schoolgirls keep fixing it for me :)  The schoolgirls also think it's funny that Indian clothes turn my skin colors with the dye, until they've been washed like 4 times. 

The past few days have been a little crazy in this house.  As of Saturday, all the babies will be moved to a temporary apartment while the new apartment's renovations are finishing.   This means that my last week here, I'll have to GO to the babies rather than have them just outside my bedroom door.  It's been nice having them so close, especially as I get acclimated to the area and culture, but it will be nice to walk around without having rice stuck to my feet and formula on my seat :)

Currently and over the past week, we have 12-13 children in the apartment.  Add to that me, the nurse, any guests, the PT in the evenings, and 2-4 ayahs--it's crowded.  Not to mention that yesterday all but 3 kids had fevers, and one girl is in the hospital.  8 kids with fevers, not so fun, especially when the a/c and electricity go off. The ayahs and nurses here are so patient though.

Last night, after I got home from dinner with two other American girls, everything was peaceful with lots of sleeping babies. It was eerie for being 8 pm, when all the kids are normally fighting or laughing hysterically.  I guess sickness is something that I've never really been around before.  Some of the kids were just a little cranky and what I'm used to with babysitting "sick" kids, but when the child has CP (cerebral palsy), is nonverbal, and is struggling to cough, it kind of tears at your heartstrings.  When they're not crying out of misery, they're just lying there, with an empty yet clouded gaze. It makes me want to be able to DO something, but all I can do is pray and love on them. 
 J. wasn't doing so hot last night either, and although I'm not sure exactly how bad he was (the nurse didn't seem too concerned as he is sick fairly often, poor thing). When he woke up he pointed to the door, meaning that he wanted to go out on the roof.  I'd pretty much give the kid anything if I could, so of course, I took him outside.  He was so hot when I picked him up, my heart just melted further and prayed as earnestly as I could.

See, the week I came, a little girl, who appeared to be doing much better and was living in this apartment, died.  And not too long before that, another kid passed away.  I knew those things before, but didn't really think so much about it then.  But death isn't uncommon here.  Sickness with these kids isn't cured as easily as the sickness that I know, and the facilities and payment possibilities aren't what I know.  It's not a thought so easily dismissed when your heart's involved. 

All that said, the kids are doing better today, and it's a much happier place, with children with smiles, even if snot is still running everywhere.

Their smiles are precious, and I can see why God loves them so much.

1 comment:

  1. You are getting a small glimpse of a mama's heart and finding out that prayer is our best "weapon" because we have so little control. I'm thankful you are being blessed and being such a blessing and comfort to them, whether to the sick children or to the ayahs who need an extra hand. We love you and are always praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete