Saturday, June 2, 2012

An OT Progress Note (Unofficial and Unworthy of a Grade!)

Baby C:  We’re still working on the precrawling.  However, she’s not fighting being in the crawling position as much.  (On day 2 of it, she’d just give up and lay her head down instead of trying to prop it up!) About 3-4 times she has even reached for an object with one hand while staying balanced on her other hand (& knees).  She’s also working on pushing herself up onto her knees, as she hates being in the face-down position (Because of her Gtube, I think she associates that this causes pain and is terrified of it).  Even though it gets her out of her crawling position, I let her pull herself up as much as she can to work on balance and changing positions.   I quit working on trying to let her comfort herself and fall asleep without being rocked—culturally, it wasn’t working as the ayahs just panic if someone just lets a baby cry. 

J.:   If only I were 30 and wealthy, I’d be his mama soon.  Darn you governmental regulations on age, marital status, and finances for adoption!  He’s now able to turn himself in a complete circle, and propel himself backwards using his arms when on a smooth surface.  I’ve SEEN him use his elbows and hands to pull himself forwards 5 feet at a time, too, but it is a lot of work for the little guy, and his legs get in the way, so most of the time he’ll just give up and lay his head on the floor, whining until what he wants comes to him. 

M.:  M. is blind, and I’m not sure she can see any form of shape or shadow based off observation.  She’s learned some Braille, I’ve been told, but the director says she needs to be able to at least write the letters for Indian school purposes.  I’ve used wooden blocks that have sandpaper letter/numbers on them to teach her the alphabet and 0-9.  We are still currently in the process of learning the letters after “E” and I’m sort of stuck on being able to teach her how to write “pretty” and “readable” letters, when she has no idea if they are pretty or readable!  I wish there were stencils to use.  She can make first grade-equivalent letters and numbers—if I am there and she knows I am watching—with only a few reminders (like start “5” away from your finger, then touch the finger, then short down, half circle, touch finger).  Her spacing between letters is surprisingly pretty good, as she uses her left hand’s pointer finger to keep her place.  We’re also working on typing so that she might be able to take a donated laptop to school.  After only 3 days of it, she’s mastered where all the letters are, AND keeps her fingers in the proper place (save for “B” and “N”).  Now, we have to work on making sure she only touches the letter she wants once and doesn’t type all the other letters as she feels her way around the keyboard J

I ALSO (believe it or not) taught her all of the C notes and F notes on the keyboard.  I was surprised I still remembered it.  The language barrier thankfully prevented me from having to teach any more piano, because I really dislike even touching the thing J

R.:  I basically “discharged” R. from my services.  She needs a special fat pencil grip to improve her writing, which I’ll be able to send from the US.  But she doesn’t speak any English, and doesn’t look at the paper when I ask her to draw a horizontal line and show her how to do it 3039 times, even when I use cool stuff like paint or crayons to do it with.  I also discovered that, along with her inattention to me since I don’t speak Telugu, she doesn’t know the alphabet and can’t identify any of the letters (every single one is “B”.)  I bought a mango for one of the older girls in exchange for her to teach R. the letters, but R. just gets distracted by all her sisters who hang through the window wanting to join in on the therapy session. 

I don’t really remember the other “names” I used for the other kids, but these are the ones that are making the most progress. 

In other, less OT-oriented, not really exciting news, I have had quite the experiences here.  Two days ago, as I was walking back from the store, I noticed a man videotaping me on his phone.  I wanted to dance or break out in song or something, so that people will have a reason for their staring, but I held it in.  Instead, I got to do my dancing last night on the roof with the kids, when the electricity went out (for the 10th time that day). 
Today, after being sick and in bed all morning, I went out to eat with a neighbor lady.  I told her to take me to her favorite restaurant, as there are only 4 here that cater to American spice level.  It was a REALLY good 7-course meal for only $9 apiece.  Given, that’s a TON in India, but I’m from America, where a 7 course meal of that caliber doesn’t exist for less than $40!  There was also a pudding or. . . some kind of gelatinous/jelly-like dessert made from DATES!!! J I finally found one Indian dessert that I like, and it’s probably the best in the worId next to ice cream in this heat.  I think it’s really gross to wear sandals here, even though everyone does, so I’ve stuck to my flats, which has given me a wonderful tanline in the 3 inches between my shoes and leggings.  My saris/Punjabis should be finished by Monday, so I’ll be sporting some new stomach/side/back sunburns and tanlines soon.  Guess I will finally have to break out the sunscreen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment