Friday, June 8, 2012

Peacefulness

Today was a little cooler than its been, so the children who are normally downstairs didn't join us, creating an overcrowded apartment.  The children are really so much happier (as are the ayahs) when there's more space and less bodies, and it feels like each child is finally getting enough attention, and they're not yelling out of jealousy when I dote upon someone else for a few moments. 
Tonight, all but 2 fell asleep before actually being put to bed--just played while resting their heads on a pillow, and then. . . sleeping angels.  I love them so much.  I like kids really easily, but I've never been one to make best friends or form really close relationships on a short term trip because I realize that it's that--short term.  But I really love these kids.  It's good to have someone to pour love out on, and let my heart overflow into them.

I'm really glad to be forming friendships outside the organization, also.  I love being able to watch the young neighbor boys play cricket, "skip" rope with the girls, and play some "computer" game (sort of like red light, green light, but--let's be honest--Indian drivers would neither note nor obey traffic signals, so the kids have no idea what that even means).  The neighbor lady and I have gone out to lunch, and she is always giving me fruit or "biscuits" (cookies), and last night, after the kids were in bed, we had ice cream under the stars.  I am really grateful that God has given me this opportunity, so that my heart is more at peace with being here later on.  I know, based off what I've read and discussed with American women living overseas, that forming friendships is tough.  But this is my start--getting out there and breaking down some of the walls now, even if it's only the walls of my own comfort zone and fears of being culturally unacceptable/another-synonym-I-can't-think-of.

There's a girl from Texas staying at the schoolgirls' house as of today, so that will be good for friendship as well as to have someone to eat with, since the cook is moving with the babies across town tomorrow!  And I saw my first monkey yesterday, and today, he was about 2 feet from our apartment door (open with children peeking around it) on the 7th floor.  He was enjoying some chapati, and I must say, I don't blame him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment