Sunday, July 15, 2012

This isn't the most interesting post.

So, in all honesty, I don't really feel much like writing.  It's just that I'm a student now, and that comes with the highs and lows of being a student, which you already know from your own days as a student.  But if you want to hear what's been going on, or don't keep up with facebook photos, here's a synopsis of my past week.

Taj Mahal.  GORGEOUS.  Way worth the 4-5 hour drive.  Way worth my friend having to pay $40 "because he had a foreigner in the car" (aka police probably need money for their wives' shopping habits...)  Sumit told me my face was priceless when I first stepped through the gate and saw it.  I believe him.  I could've sat there for an entire day, never tiring of soaking up its beauty and the curious happenings of tourists.  Had I done this, i'd have had to wear an invisibility cloak as my sari attracted quite the attention of Indian peoples.  Only downside was that the inside wasn't well ventilated, we couldn't go into the downstairs mauseloeum (I'm not going to bother googling how to spell that right now), and that there's no way to memorize every detail of the artwork.

Fatehpur Sikri.  I can never remember the first word.  Sumit's dad suggested we go there after the Taj, so we did.  Way worth it.  When you go to the Taj Mahal on your visit to see me when I live in India, go to this place, and plan to spend quite a bit of time seeing everything.  We only saw part of it, but it was really cool.  It was also cool because when I was 10 I read one of those "Dear Diary" kind of books by one of the princesses who would have been at this place.  Amazing how a 5th grade reading level book teaches world history way more efficiently than my high school teachers did...

Dhaba.  Dh (with a huge exhale) -AAA-Ba.  Not Bha.  Ba.  No, you're saying it wrong.  Nope, that's not it either.  Eh, I guess since you've now tried 15 times and gotten it sort of correct 3 times, we'll pretend that counts as being able to pronounce it.    Yep....that's how my hindi is going.  That and the confusion of what people actually say and what I am supposed to say--be it grammar, pronunciation, or whatever--that's how my hindi is progressing.  It's a slooooowwww trek.  What I do know is that my reading is slowly getting faster, my vocabulary is increasing although I may have to think about the word 20 seconds after the sentence it was in before I recall it's meaning (consequently losing the rest of the sentence), and my perseverance is great.  Haha, I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but it can really be frustrating at times to not be naturally good at picking up the language/not being the best auditory learner.

CHURCH!!! It was so good, SO GOOD, to worship with other Christians who speak English yesterday.  Everyone was so friendly and wanting me to know that they are there for me if I need them.  The minister spoke in English (there is sometimes hindi translation, but not that day).  The songs were a mix of English and Hindi.  Because there was a powerpoint, I could even sing--or read at least--the hindi parts, so that was quite exciting for me.

Stomach.  I have yet to meet a curry my mouth or eyes can't handle.  This might not be the best for my stomach, so its possible I could have stomach cancer or ulcers right now and I'd never know. I'm just used to being fairly uncomfortable/queasy (or more than fairly) all the time, and I look forward to the day when I will be able to remember what a normal stomach feels like.

Birthdays.  I have had 3 birthday celebrations in the past 4 days.  It's been good for me to be with people, and at 2 of the celebrations, everyone mainly spoke Hindi. It's encouraging to be able to pick up pieces of the conversation. Downside--it's only pieces of the conversation, so you just have to smile and keep trying and hope you nod or shake your head at the right times. Also, it's not only one conversation, but 3-6 conversations, which is just plain difficult.  But I like a challenge, and I love the people, so it's okay :)

Also, I've pretty much decided I don't want to leave.  I only have 15 more days here, and although I'm excited for my undergrad graduation present to myself/trip to Europe,  I don't really want to leave.  I think I'm going to feel a little bit like a toddler being dragged out of Chuck E. Cheese's.  So...you can pray that I'll leave willingly and be content wherever I am... Please :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment