Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence day...

Today is sort of a bummer. July 4th was celebrated on June 30th in New Delhi, and I didn't know it :(  It's sort of my favorite holiday, so I'm going to be missing sitting on the diving board at the lakehouse watching the fireworks and eating Mississippi Mud and jello salad.  (I'm sort of specific, aren't I?)  That said, please have some extra of each for me.  Don't send pictures though because I don't want to get even more hungry for things I can't have!

I really like New Delhi, and I really like not being on my own anymore!  It's so nice to have friends and the family to hang out with when I'm doing sightseeing or just sitting at home or eating or going on walks!  Last night, Sumit picked me up from school and after a dinner which only made my cheeks turn a little pink, we went to India Gate, which was gorgeous.  I say this to let you know that if/when any of you come to Delhi, you need to go at night because it's pretty much the most perfect spot I've seen in India at night :)

My classes are going pretty well.  Right now it's just private classes, so I can't rely on any other classmates to answer questions or help me out with vocabulary--which is good because my confidence in speaking is at a level 0. I've apparently really impressed the instructors because I know "so much" by only teaching myself.  Given, their "so much" is like my "I haven't hardly learned anything yet!" but I'm probably always going to think that way.  I officially understand past tense...I think. I am completely clueless on the presumptive tenses (she must be blahblahblah, he would be blahblahblah) but my vocabulary is increasing, so that's nice, even if it's in small amounts. 

My teacher this week is my age, and she's quite wonderful.  She's also a Christian, which is awesome because now I'm learning some religious vocabulary, too.  And she's invited me to hang out with her basically all Saturday after classes and then we'll go to her church that night.  I haven't been to a non-village church yet, because the only ones I saw in Bangalore were cathedrals.  (I don't think it would be very spiritual if I'm just admiring the columns and windows and other architectural things, not to mention that the masses were probably in Kannada or Hindi or something not English.) 

Anyways, I can't help but feel that this doesn't seem as positive today, so I'm going to quit typing.  Let's just say there have been some turmoily things inside and so prayer is appreciated...

And, hello, hindi vocabulary.  We meet again.  Hum again milte hain. (?)

No comments:

Post a Comment