Tuesday, July 17, 2012

For you, Mom...

Mom said I needed another blog update.  I said there wasn’t really much to write, but she said, “anything.”  The younger sister/brat in me wants to write “This is a blog update.  Hello.  I’ll talk to you in 7 hours, Mom.  Goodbye.”  But I guess I can come up with something a little more creative.  Or try, I should say…I can’t promise that it will be interesting though.
I learned today that 2 new guys will be coming to live in my house in the next two days.  One is a Swiss who lives in Hungary (which is great, because I was planning on going to Hungary anyways in Europe J) and the other is…from Spain, possibly? Either way, it should be fun.  I enjoy taking people on their first autorickshaw rides.  For those of you who have been to India, you understand what I mean…
I get to hang out with my friend from France tomorrow, which I’m quite excited about, as I haven’t really got to see her too terribly much over the past two weeks, with our class schedules being opposites.  Since I now have two friends in France, I guess that will be one of my stops through my journey there.  It isn’t that I have never wanted to go to France.  I mean, I did watch the Mary-Kate and Ashley movie “Passport to Paris” like 30 times when I was ten  (For you Ashlierla:  Bonjour, bonjour,…omigosh!)  But I have felt that you just can’t go to the Eiffel Tower alone.  I felt that way about the Taj Mahal too, but that solution sat next to me on the flight from London.  Now, who knows?  I might just stop and have lunch with my French friends or I may stay awhile and really learn to enjoy the country. 
Today my teacher was sick so I got to go to Sarojini Nagar/Babu Market instead of class.  I have decided if I am not married once I arrive to live in India full-time, I will submit myself to some aunty who can pick out whatever dark Indian guy for me and after the arranged marriage, I can buy a new sari and a new pair of sandals every week with his salary.**  Okay, slight exaggeration…but I really REALLY love shopping in India.  And I’ve never been a crazy shopper—more of the severely frugal kind so I can do things like go to Europe J  Anyways, I got 5 pairs of shoes for $22 today…I mean really? Given, they may break after a few months, but who cares for that price!
 **  In my rereading of this, I think I may have some readers who might actually take that at face value.  Please know the above is not serious.
Also, today, my flight-from-London-seat-partner-turned-friend-turned-chauffeur-turned-really-good-friend-who-does-really-crazy-things-like-taking-me-to-a-flower-market-at-4:30am-and-drive-forever-to-the-Taj-Mahal returned to Canada.  That was a bit sad, as we’ve done quite a lot together in the 2 weeks I’ve been in Delhi.  But I’m glad I have a good friend out of it, either way J
Tonight, my Bengali host family and I went to see Cocktail.  It’s a fairly cute movie, and I understood zyadatar of the humor.  Oh, did I mention that there were no subtitles?  I guess I’m just getting used to not comprehending chunks of conversation.
Now, I get to go read something about a “Bandar” and whatever-the-hindi-word-is-for-alligator-or-crocodile.  My teacher has recommended that I read aloud to improve my intonation and flow of speech.  But, in English, I can read fast because my eyes look ahead and give my brain time to process what I see before my tongue gets there.  In Hindi, my eyes and tongue stick together, making for some very slow and painstaking sounds.  I’m sure of this because the dog never stays in my room when I start.

No comments:

Post a Comment