Friday, October 4, 2013

The Superglue Effect

Because you're all dying to know, I'll come out and say it: I am a potty training master!  (Okay, not really, and it's only been one day of potty training with 2 year old Chelsea, but she is doing really awesome, and her mama and I are superbly proud.)  Of course, it helped that, being naked, she would ask for her diaper when she needed to go, but considering that the only Telugu words that I used today were "go," "sit," and "stand," it was a huge success!  Unfortunately, no matter how much water I poured into this child's mouth (that is not a torture technique, it is an Indian thing, so your lips don't dirty the glass, making you have to wash it), she could hold it and did not have to go.  Her bladder must be enormous, because her little stomach stuck out more than the swollen babies of starving kids in Africa.  Okay, well, maybe to give a more positive image, I should say she looked like the Indian uncles with their big perfectly round stomachs on top of skinny, skinny legs :)

New kids on the block.  Yesterday we finished moving all of the children to their family-style apartments, so NO MORE ORPHANAGE STYLE HOUSING!!  Already, these kids are just going to be so much better off, but of course we hope to continually make their lives better.  I also moved apartments, so that I stay in a room on top of Faith Home, where half the kids now live.  Let's just say, now that I'm living here, I think I'm going to have a lot more bonds with kids whose names I might eventually learn. For some in particular, I foresee a lot of OT (in the midst of a lot of cuddling) in their future!  :) 

Those 3 little words. I've heard many conversations and read a few too many blogs about how we as Westerners overuse the phrase "I love you."  It's true, we say it sometimes when we mean "Ah, that was a lifesaver!" or "I admire what you do."  But I'm noticing that I don't say it casually or just to say it back anymore.  When I was younger and Mom would put me to bed, she'd tell me she loves me, and then would start to close the door.  If I didn't say it back immediately, she'd poke her head back through the door opening until I said it.  Did I genuinely mean that then? Eh, sometimes. 

But now.  Boy, do I mean it.  Tonight I was in the Yellow apartment in Grace, teaching kids how to type on the computer while sending others to the balcony for time-out.  For probably 90 minutes, one of the "wilder" kids (whom I sometimes see as helplessly uncontrollable) sat in my lap snuggling against me.  She'd hold my drink when I needed to help teach her sister which fingers type "G" and "H," but otherwise, she'd just put her head against mine, wrapping my arms around her.  When I whispered "I love you" into her freshly made braids, I meant it with every ounce of my being. 

And she wasn't even one of "my" girls, but one who lives two floors above them.  I genuinely love each and every one of my eight girls in Grace Purple, and many others.  My bonds are stronger with some than others, my smile bigger with some, but I love them all.  I could sit with any of them in my arms for hours, as they get much-wanted affection.  If my girls ask, I can reread the Hindi nursery rhymes as many times as it takes to properly pronounce all of "Chanda mama."  I can tickle up to 6 kids at once before being dogpiled on in exhaustion and giggles.  I love them, and I want to always be there for them until I get to introduce them to their legal Forever Families. 

I ask for your prayers because I am trying to figure out how I can come to America only for a 2-3 week visit next summer, and how I can return to these girls for at least a second year, etc.  Because I don't know how I can leave:  my heart is superglued to these girls, and I am actually sad tonight just because I forgot to give them bedtime kisses before coming home.   Next summer is a long ways off, but pray that I will be able to return then, if it's God's will.  Pray for my heart--that no matter what, I will be able to love these girls unconditionally and be there in ways that they need me, for whatever time I am here.  Lastly, pray that families and governments will come together to adopt these beautiful girls so that they never have to think about someone they love moving across the globe without them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment