Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Story of Ruth



Can you feel the love and joy between these girls and their Habesha brother and his friends? :)  These photos have nothing to do with today's blog, but they recap a lot of our fun from previous days. Enjoy!

Ok, onto the real blog post: 
I remember having these rubber finger-puppets when I was little. They were biblical figures, and each came with a book on tape. I guess I never took naps, so Mom would send me to my room with my books and puppets while SHE got her rest time.

Anyways, I can’t remember which ones I had other than Daniel and the Lion’s Den, but I can kind of picture maybe having one of Ruth? Maybe not, but I know I had a book on tape of Ruth’s story at some point, and I know I used a puppet or SOMETHING to act out her story to myself on an almost daily basis.  She was (and probably still is to this day) my favorite Bible story.

So, Ruth lost her husband, who was of a different culture and faith than her own. Ruth decided to join her mother-in-law, Naomi, as she returned to her homeland, which probably led to a lot of culture shock for Ruth.  Anyways, key thing here is the thing I remember most from childhood:
Ruth said to Naomi, “Your God will be my God, and your people will be my people.”

That’s how I feel about India:  Her people will be my people. It’s as simple as that.

The story goes on and Ruth goes out and gathers leftovers from fields to feed herself and Naomi, because they don’t have an income. One thing leads to another as God directs their paths, and Ruth meets and falls in love with her prince charming, Boaz, and they have their as-happily-ever-after-as-it-can-get.

I know I am not as poor as Ruth was when she started picking up wheat in her new foreign “home,” but I am fairly poor in comparison to most Americans who decide to move across the globe. Yet, just as God provided for Ruth, I’ve really been seeing Him show that I can trust Him in providing for me.  Through donations, selling my car, the dollar to rupee conversion rates, being told by the OT organizations I can count volunteering hours for most of my continuing education credits, etc., God is reemphasizing His role in all of this.   And it’s pretty cool to watch.

I feel like I should also touch on the Boaz part here, even though I would rather not.  I don’t know if God has some 5 foot tall mustached Indian man for me, or if he has a John Abraham (google image if you need), or if He has a whole bunch of brown 5 year old little men to steal my heart.  I have no idea, and frankly, right now, I don’t care.  Over the past year, through life, this trip, conversations, readings, and observations, I have seen that it is truly easier to do what I’m doing while being single.  And that might be what He has in store for me long term—I don’t know. 

Whatever it is, I know—and can say with actual belief for the first time in a long time—that it is good. And not only, that it is good, but that it is best, and it is His best.  That may not sound like much, but for those of you who know a bit more than others about my story, it is huge.  That statement still comes with tears, but it is a breakthrough, and I know you are rejoicing with me in your hearts. Thank you for the past, present, and future prayers regarding my heart. I love you, and good night from Addis Ababa

No comments:

Post a Comment