Thursday, May 24, 2012

The adventures of flying and arriving.

I'm TRYING to keep this short.  But it will be long. My apologies ahead of time.

I waited so long to get here, and I'm finally here. It shouldn't, but it feels so familiar, and I feel at home. Not necessarily this village particularly, but just HERE. Driving through the cities and villages, I just feel like I belong. I know that's from God, because I've really struggled with where I belong lately.  

The trip:
I have the best luck and the worst luck with flying.  The worst is that I never seem to make the ideal flight itinerary that is planned.  On this trip, my flight from STL was delayed 3 hours, causing me to miss my flight in Chicago. I was able to get on the last flight to London thankfully, but then that flight was delayed and I missed my flight to India.  And then I got to add another flight within India to get to my destination.

The best part is that MY BAGS ARRIVED WITH MEEEEEEE!!!!! (If you know anything about my trip to Morocco, you will know how excited this makes me).  The rest of my awesome luck with flying is that I always have had cool people to talk with on the really long flights. A Latina doctor who spent the week in Miami; an Indian from South Africa who lives in Chicago flying home to get married; and a guy studying in Canada who decides to fly home to Delhi to surprise his family, just for the heck of it. 

Everyone was fantastic on the flights--if not perhaps overly willing to tell me of everything I need to do while I'm in India. (Keep in mind, with the south Indian words, which are 39 letters long, I have NO idea what I've been told I need to do).  It was cool to have everyone be so hospitable and glad that I am coming to their country, as well as watching out for me in the airports.

Delhi airport=incredible.  Chennai's airport=not recommended to fly into if you're not already in love with the country.

I also couldn't find my driver at the airport. I guess he was looking for me in the international flights, when I was in the domestic flight area.  I was able to pay someone to borrow their phone to get ahold of my driver, but I know I looked completely stupid walking around--the only white person in sight--with my multiple bags and just laughing because I have no idea what anyone was saying.

The 6-7 hour drive to the village was wonderful.  Surprisingly, I was able to sleep on it, and only had a few moments where my heart rate drastically increased, as the driver panicked due to an almost-accident :)

We had dinner at a roadside restaurant, and it was SO GOOD.  I don't know if the people in that village had ever seen a caucasian before, but with everyone staring at me, at least my posture was improved.  I have also received some special attention on the flights.  Particularly with the high school/college undergrad boys.  It's flattering I suppose but I feign oblivion. Keeping a straight face is difficult, but I've managed so far.

Sarah's Covenant Homes:  http://www.schindia.com/
I am living at the orphanage, in a guest room.  I have a private bath which has a western toilet (!), a spout and bucket for a shower, and a/c (although I won't be using it much).  Our apartment is the baby apartment, and there are 3 ayahs/nannies/nurses there, with 6 kiddos.  I have already fallen in love with one, whom I'll call J.

There's another girl here volunteering right now, but she leaves today. She is a speech/language pathology student, so we've been discussing what we'd like to see around here in what the kids can do and how the ayahs interact with the kids. 

I really Really encourage you to look at the blog, as it will give you a much better idea of who and what is done here. I didn't realize they started the organization only in 2008, and now they have over 100 kids and are blessing so many through it.

The director of the orphanage had us over for breakfast, and we got to hang out with 4 of her kids and 4 of the volunteer coordinator's kids.  I'm going to have a lot of fun with them in the coming weeks!  Yesterday, I was just shown around to some of the different apartments and houses so that I could see particular kids or areas that I wanted to work with in therapy.  I think my main focus will be on the kids that I'm staying with in the apartment, but they have a home with LOTS of kids that is currently in a more "orphanage" environment.  (They are working towards moving it to foster homes, but they keep getting kids and can't keep up with it all).

Last night, we went out to dinner at a hotel and I had malai kofta.  It wasn't spicy at all, because they saw I was american.  Actually, I don't even know if they put any spices in it, so it was a huge disappointment.  Thankfully, it was 150 rupees which is like $3. I can have a bad meal for that price :)  Then, we went home and I was charging my computer so played bollywood music for the ayahs and kids.  The ayahs made me show them my bollywood skills and said I was good.  I think they were being polite, or they just enjoyed the ridiculous entertainment.  The kids loved watching the designs on the computer that played with the songs and I was able to get some of them to start dancing.  It was really neat, as they're not necessarily interactive with their environments all the time, so I'm sure that will become a nightly thing while I'm here!

A summary of other things:  I could understand lots of hindi in the airport which made me so proud, they speak Telugu here in the village and the words are so long I have given up and just fold my hands together to say hello or give an Indian bobblehead nod :).  Basically, I love it. And, now, I should get to work and love on some kiddos!

2 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! So exciting! :) I'm so glad that you feel at home in this new place, I remember that feeling, too. Sweet, isn't it? I wish I could be there to love on babies and have dance parties with you, especially as my chikni chameli skills are obviously superior to yours. (hahahahahahha) I advise you to enjoy the flattering male attention while it's still fun. In about a week or so it will become incredibly annoying and you'll have to bite your tongue to keep from spouting off hindi insults whenever someone comments at/to you. Lastly, I'm praying for you! And I can't wait to hear every detail! -Reeses Peanut Butter Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A speech language pathology student, I should've come with you! Sounds like a great beginning!

    ReplyDelete